This admin guide is intended as a reference tool for those users who are responsible for uploading content to the archive. Users with access to these pages will have already received training (or who are in the process of receiving it), so this will act as a means of refreshing existing knowledge rather than teaching new concepts.
When uploading media the most time-consuming aspect of the process is completing the metadata information. This task, while tedious at times, is the most important step for it is this metadata that makes the system useful, and searchable.
We know that for many users who are uploading material, the content they upload will be very similar - for example multiple episodes fo the same series. So, to make things easier we created an extension for Chrome.
This extension completes some of the most frequently entered data for specific programmes for you, which means you don't have to complete as much data yourself.
The latest extension can be downloaded here.
The following video explains what the extension is, what it does, and how to install it:
Installing the extension
Installing the extension is something everyone can do themselves as there is no need to enter an admin password at anytime. The only things you need are access to the internet and Google Chrome to be installed on your machine.
- Download the latest version of the extension here.
- Save the file to your computer - somewhere safe where it's unlikely to be deleted by accident.
- "Uncompress" or "Unzip" the folder and save that to the safe location you've identified.
- Open Chrome and type "chrome://extensions/" into the address bar and hit enter
- Tick the checkbox at the top of the page called "Developer mode"
- Click "Load unpacked Extension"
- Find the unzipped folder you've saved, and then click "select"
That's it - the chrome extension should now be installed on your machine.
Using the extension
To use the extension, first log into the archive and then click on "Create record" at the top of the page. Once you've done that, click on the extension (it's a small, square, red icon in the top right section of chrome).
Then navigate to your region and select the template you want to enter into the form.
Once that's done you'll see that many of the fields have been completed for you. Now just finish the form for the media you're uplaoding, add the media and save the record.